Townsville City Council's Community Grants and Sponsorships Scheme supports local initiatives and pursuits of excellence that enhance community wellbeing and opportunity via the provision of financial assistance to community organisations and individuals.
The following provides an overview and general information on the intent, vision, and principles of the Community Grants and Sponsorships Scheme, as well as information on the application process and eligibility.
Youth Opportunity Funds
The objectives of the Community Grants and Sponsorships Scheme are to:
- contribute towards community wellbeing for the residents of Townsville
- support major festivals, community events and celebrations which showcase Townsville’s talent and enhance community identity and pride and bring economic and tourism opportunities to the region
- encourage opportunities for participation in community life by the diverse range of groups which comprise Townsville’s community
- develop high quality and multi-use sporting, cultural and community infrastructure
- encourage achievement, and support the skill development of individuals and community organisations, in sport, cultural and community activities
- support community based organisations and corporate identities (and voluntary contributions) in the provision of sporting, recreational, cultural and community activities
- strengthen links with community organisations, businesses and other spheres of government, in areas of mutual interest, and
- enhance sustainability and planned economic development.
Who May Apply
In general, community organisations who apply must be:
- located and/or primarily providing services within the Townsville local government area
- a not-for-profit, properly constituted incorporated body (or sponsored by such a body) or acorporate entity (for Partnerships and Sponsorships Program only)
- able to demonstrate financial viability
- able to demonstrate appropriate management structure to effectively manage financial and accounting requirements,
- free of debt to Townsville City Council.
In general, applications will not be considered eligible for:
- retrospective costs
- reimbursement of costs incurred
- educational Institutions (schools, universities, kindergartens) unless the proposal has a wider community involvement;
- purposes which are the responsibility of other government departments (unless funds are to be provided as part of joint or co-operative funding arrangements)
- grant proposals that may lead to a dependence on Council funds
- proposals which support or oppose political or religious organisations (not including charities run by religious groups)
- conflict with legislation
- exclude or offend minority community groups.
The following are unlikely to be funded through the Community Grants & Sponsorships Scheme:
- portable shade structures/gazebos
- capital/assets (such as vehicles, trailers, air-conditioners, mowers)
- white goods
- equipment - e.g. office supplies, tables, chairs
- PA Systems.
(All of the above is eligible for funding through the State Governments Gambling Community Benefit Fund).
If you are unsure whether your project/activity falls into one of the above categories, please contact Council's Community Grants Team to clarify before you begin your application.
Please note, applications (other than Grants for Excellence and Micro Grants) take up to eight weeks to process. Applicants need to take this timeline into consideration when applying for funding. Council recommends that groups calculate at least three months leeway from application to time of event, project or program.
Financial Assistance Policy
The Grants and Sponsorships Scheme is aligned with Townsville City Council's Financial Assistance Policy. A full list of council policies can be found on our website here.